Tuesday 10 November 2015

Annoying Little Things

I'm in the middle of reading this book.  It's part of a series by one of my favourite romance authors.  This is book 7 in her current series, but this series is a continuation of a previous series that had at least a dozen books.  It's based in Scotland, but the author is American.

Based on just standard knowledge that most anyone should have, there are a few things that authors shouldn't mess up.  When authors do mess up on these things, it bothers me. There are several things that annoy me in this specific book:

1. The fact that the lead female character calls herself a masseuse and she works at a fancy spa in South Carolina.  No respectable person who gives massages for a living would  call themselves a masseuse -- they'd call themselves a massage therapist.  It's a thousand times more professional and respectable.

2. The lead female character had checked into her flight at the Edinburgh airport, but never got onto the flight.  Twice now she's made a comment about how her luggage would already be back in South Carolina.  Anyone whose been on a plane in the last 5 years or more would know that your luggage NEVER flies without you.  It doesn't matter if you check in.  If you don't go through the gate, your luggage is taken off the plane.  Therefore her luggage would still be in Scotland.

I also watched the movie Edge of Tomorrow last night.  It stars Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt and it was surprisingly good, I liked it.  Tom Cruise's character is American.  To make a long story short, he gets thrown into a situation he's unprepared for.  However when making a plan with Emily Blunt's character he refers to a trailer attached to a mini-van as a 'caravan.'  He's in France when he says this.

I know that folks in Britain call trailers 'caravans.'  Americans and Canadians call them trailers.  I'm sorry, but there's no way that Tom's character would refer to the trailer as a 'caravan.'  My guess is that most Americans don't even know that the Brits call trailers something different.

The same series of books I'm reading had a situation earlier in the series where a woman was living in a mountain cave.  Someone had set it up for her with a generator, etc.  But somehow she was able to talk on her cell phone ... from inside the mountain ... in the middle of the Scottish Highlands.  There's no way she would ever get reception out there, especially not inside a mountain.  I actually pointed this out to the author and her response was that the story had magic in it, so the magic allowed her to be able to use her cell phone.  While that may align with the story, it's a bit of a cop out!  

I don't know why these little things bug me, but they do!!  

----------

Oh, another annoying little thing ... it bugs me when people post something really vague on social media like ... "I can't believe that happened last night, I'm so glad we're okay" ... but then never actually say what happened.  It's like they're looking for blind sympathy from their social media friends.  

If you're going to post it on social media, explain what happened.  If you're uncomfortable explaining the details on social media, then don't mention it on social media.  For some reason you want to advertise the fact that something happened to you, but you don't want to say what it was.  It might be something big ... it might be something small ... no one has any clue.  And obviously you're hiding something from your social media friends.  I don't find these posts sad or concerning, I find them annoying.

I guess tonight is pet peeve night!

No comments:

Post a Comment