Monday 31 August 2015

Outlander Book 6

I had a goal ... I wanted to finish A Breath of Snow and Ashes before the school semester began so I could concentrate on readings I have to do for class. I think the first have of the book (> 700 pages) took me at least 2-3 weeks. The second half of the book (another ~ 700 pages) took me maybe 4-5 days!

But why is it that we can get so attached to books and their characters?  I feel a deep sense of loss now that I'm done - even though book 7 is sitting downstairs and book 8 is available in stores. It doesn't matter. My daily life without Claire and Jamie is so empty. And it's only been like 1-2 minutes since I finished!

I'm not sure exactly how historically accurate Outlander is, but I think it's pretty spot on. And I've also read that the info about Claire's use of herbs for medicine is also very accurate. I actually am really interested to learn more about the use of herbs for things. It's really fascinating!  And some of my recent articles for wikiHow have included natural remedies that are identical to the ones Claire used!

My biggest dilemma at the moment is to wonder what to read tomorrow. I need a book for the bus and I don't know yet which novel we'll be starting with for my YA reading class. It's not like I don't have 6 million options - I just always have such a hard time choosing! In fact, when I was figuring out what to read before I picked A Breath I stood in front of my To Read bookshelf for over 10 minutes trying to decide. Maybe I'll pick a non-fiction book for tomorrow so I won't feel as bad if I don't finish it quickly. 

Sidetrack:

Speaking of the bus tomorrow.  It looks like I'll be up at 7:15am tomorrow in order to catch one of two possible buses between 7:55am and 8am. That should get me to school just after 8:30am or so. Registration starts at 8:45am and orientation starts at 9am. 

It's been a long time since I've taken the bus from home to campus and back. In an ideal world is like to avoid the LRT, but that might be fairly impossible. I also need a paper map of the buses. I like to be able to hold maps in front of me to make plans like that. 

I really like the route bus 43 takes but it really sucks that it only runs M-F at rush hour times. How stupid is that?  Especially considering it's only 1 of 2 buses that runs up and down 119th Street!

Orientation:

Orientation is for the School of Library and Information Studies. Technically it's for first years. And technically I'm not a first year. But it's my first year in SLIS. 

They've sent us an agenda but I'm still not 100% sure what to expect. It'll be nice to put names to faces of profs in SLIS. And it'll be nice to see whose been assigned my advisor. But we don't get much time to talk to our advisor, so that's not helpful. At least they'll be giving us food. And it's only a half day, so I'll be home after lunch - assuming I stay for the entire lunch. 

Delivery:

Speaking of which, I'm expecting a delivery from FedEx tomorrow. The tracking website says they're suppose to come before 12pm. I called and asked that they come after 2pm instead but they made no guarantees. So I'm leaving a note on my door just in case. Too bad it wasn't ready for delivery last weekend or even Saturday. 

I don't know why they specify before 12pm. Or why there's no way to ask for a specific time. And if the times they deliver never work out, I don't get why there isn't a way to automatically have the package left at a depot. Why bother having a delivery driver knock on the door when you know you're not going to be home?

I've actually had the most delivery trouble with FedEx. My personal fave is UPS. They seem to have things under control. FedEx doesn't even read postal codes or addresses when they make deliveries (long story). 

Mice:

I haven't found anymore dead mice in my house since this morning, so that's good. But there do seem to be a lot of flies. I think that's just because I leave the backdoor open when I'm outside with the cats and things get inside. For the most part they seem to be entertainment for the cats!

Back On Track:

I'm a little calmer about Claire and Jamie now. I think I'll be able to sleep. I hope anyway. 

At least I know Brianna, Roger, Jem and Mandy are safe and alive. And that Claire and Jamie are going to start a new life somewhere other than Fraser's Ridge. And I'm so mad at Arch Bug and his wife - two-faced weasels!  Grrrr





No comments:

Post a Comment