Friday 17 July 2015

Colorado Movie Theater Trial - Deliberation Day 2 - GUILTY

July 16th, 2015

Well shit!  I had the livestream feed on ALL DAY and nothing happened.  Then I left work at 3:30pm thinking nothing was going to happen today.  But at 4pm they ANNOUNCED THE VERDIT!

The jury deliberated less than 3 hours and found Holmes GUILTY on ALL 165 counts.  The jury obviously didn't believe any of the defense's insanity arguments (I didn't either) and the prosecution gave them enough evidence to prove to them beyond a reasonable doubt that Holmes was legally sane on July 19th/20th 2012 when he opened fire in the Century City Movie Theater #9.

I watched a recording of the first 12 counts being read by the judge, there's absolutely NO REACTION from the defense attorneys or the defendant.  The prosecution, on the other hand, looks quite relieved.  I suspect, as I've said before, that the defense expected this outcome and wasn't at all surprised.  I think they knew from the very beginning that they had an extremely thin case - but they did the best they could under the circumstances.

Now we move onto the sentencing portion of the trial.  That will official start next Wednesday when the jury is back.  However, the judge and lawyers will be in court Monday and Tuesday to work out the details of the sentencing hearing.


No comments:

Post a Comment