Wednesday 8 July 2015

Colorado Theater Trial - Day 44

Dr. Gur continued ...

I noticed after the afternoon break yesterday Dr. Gur seemed a little quieter.  I couldn't help but wonder if King gave her a little "talking to" during the break to explain that she's ruining his case with her testimony!  We'll see if that continues today.

[whoops ... I had it on mute and missed the start]

It's 11:30am and I've been listening for a while and I think I'm going to fall asleep.  This is some of the most boring testimony I've heard so far.  As I said yesterday, I really think it's related to the fact that the witness (Dr. Gur) doesn't have a pleasant voice, or way of talking, so it's not like listening to a natural storyteller (as some of the past witnesses have been), it's like listening to a monotonous record that never seems to end.

I will admit, however, that she's very passionate about what she studies.  She was asked to give an example about a high-functioning schizophrenic and she started her example by saying she'd provide an example of a lawyer.  That made the whole court break out laughing - except she wasn't laughing.  And then she made the comment that it wasn't meant to be funny and that she takes all her patients very seriously as it's a serious disease.  I think it made some audience members a little embarrassed for laughing.

Unfortunately the combination between this boring testimony and my boring job means I can hear the brain cells dying quite rapidly.  I think I'll go to lunch right at noon so I can do something that doesn't require my brain cells to die.

[lunch]

Unfortunately lunch here is only 45 minutes - only because the longer my lunch, the longer I'd have to stay.  I actually (technically) get a morning and afternoon break for 15 mins and a 30 min lunch, But I combined the afternoon break and lunch into a 45 min lunch instead.  45 minutes is better for reading a decent amount, or having to wait in line to get food*.

*Although that doesn't include once in the fall when I went to get a Tim Horton's sandwich and it took over 30 minutes and I ended up missing my whole lunch to waiting in a line.  Damn Tim Horton's.

Hmmm .... Dr. Gur and King are talking about Holmes' delusions.  Gur has said that Holmes definitely knew that the thoughts and delusions he had weren't normal, and that people were concerned.  I'm positive she isn't saying that he then knew what he was doing was wrong - but it sure makes me think along those lines.  If he knew his thoughts were wrong, and that people thought they were wrong, wouldn't that mean he also knew that carrying out his thoughts would be wrong?




No comments:

Post a Comment