Wednesday 29 July 2015

Sentencing Hearing - Father's Testimony

I missed most of today's testimony so I'll have to go back and watch the recorded version. I did, however, see most of yesterday's testimony with Holmes' father. It was quite interesting and sad. 

In general it appears the Holmes parents were nice people who did a lot with their kids. But they were talkers or sharers. And as their kids got older they seemed to have trouble dealing with what might be identified as problems. And the father came across as almost devoid of emotion and didn't seem at all comfortable talking about his life and feelings. 

What I did learn from his testimony was a little disturbing. First he has a twin sister. His twin sister has schizophrenia and has been sick for years. He knew she was sick but didn't know what she was sick with until he heard about his sister in testimony during the trial. This is his TWIN sister!  I just find that incredibly odd. Apparently neither his sister not his mother wanted to talk about it - so that's it - he never asked or followed up. 

We already knew from testimony that Holmes worked at a pill factory between undergrad and grad school while living at home. To me it was a pretty typical situation. Holmes hadn't gotten into any of the grad programs he applied to (yet) and was bumming around at home. He was doing nothing but playing video games so his parents told him to get a job (sounds familiar to me). He got a job, but he got that job via a temp agency. To me that's not a big deal - that's what temp agencies are for. But his dad didn't know he went through a temp agency until he heard about it at trial!!  Did they never talk?  They lived in the same house!!

But I also learned that Holmes' father did come to Colorado the day after the shooting. And he's only seen his son 3-4 times since he was arrested because Holmes refuses to have visitors. That part surprised me. Up until that point the fact that Holmes refused visitors was never mentioned (that I heard).  It's almost like Holmes doesn't want to help himself. 

I believe his mom was suppose to testify today but if she did I missed it. I'll have to watch the recordings to see if she did. I know the judge talked about deliberations today so I'm assuming he thought they'd finish soon. 

This will be an interesting deliberation. 












No comments:

Post a Comment