Saturday 25 July 2015

Theatre Trial Sentencing Hearing - Parts I Missed

Last night I watched the recordings of the parts I missed live. I saw the end of phase 1 and the start of phase 2. 

I found it weird that on Friday the defense was tape recording witness testimony. Why would they need to record the testimony if the jury was available?  I'm guessing if they were recording stuff then the jury must have been sent home. 

I also heard the phase 1 verdicts being read. The jury found almost all of the aggrevaters proven beyond a reasonable doubt. The only one (that I heard) that they didn't find proven was the one where Holmes intentionally intended to kill a child under the age of 12. 

I'm actually surprised at that. He went to a movie theatre to see the opening performance of a major hit movie. How could he think there wouldn't be kids there?  I'm thinking the jury maybe thought that because it was the midnight showing he hoped or assumed that kids wouldn't be there. But the minute he walked into the theatre he would have seen dozens of kids, including infants, and continued with his plan anyway. He may not have arrived at the theatre thinking he was going to kill kids, but he entered the theatre with guns knowing he might kill them when he opened fire. To me that meets the burden of proof for that aggrevater. But I guess the jury felt differently. 

I'm interested to see Holmes' parents take the stand and what they'll say. I'm curious if the prosecution will cross examine them. 

I also wonder how the outcome of the guilt part of the trial impacted Dr. Gur's reputation. She came off so badly on the stand and the prosecution managed to discredit her work quite nicely. I doubt it impacted her research but I wonder how the press might have reported about her. I should look that up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment